One of Worcester County's oldest towns, Mendon has played a quiet but consequential role in American history.
1660–1667 — Settlement & Founding
The area was first settled around 1660 by unofficial colonists. In September 1662, a deed was signed with Nipmuc leaders known as "Great John" and Quashaamit, purchasing the land — originally called Squinshepauke Plantation — for twenty-four pounds sterling. On May 15, 1667, Mendon was officially incorporated, becoming the second-oldest town in what is now Worcester County.
The land's original inhabitants were the Nipmuc people, whose name means "people of the fresh waters." Two Praying Indian villages established in Mendon's territory during this period reflect the complex relationship between colonists and Native communities in early New England.
1675–1680 — King Philip's War
On July 14, 1675, Mendon became the site of the first settler casualties of King Philip's War in the Massachusetts Colony, when violence reached the town and Benjamin Albee's grist mill — the first water-powered mill in the region, built in 1664 — was destroyed. By early 1676, Mendon had been largely burned to the ground.
The town was resettled and rebuilt beginning in 1680, and it would grow steadily in the years that followed. Among those who settled here after the war was Robert Taft Sr., an ancestor of the prominent Taft political family.
"Mother Mendon"
The original Mendon grant encompassed approximately 64 square miles. Over time, the town was subdivided into at least eight separate municipalities: Milford, Bellingham, Hopedale, Uxbridge, Upton, Blackstone, Northbridge, and Millville. Because of this, Mendon is traditionally called "Mother Mendon."
Bellingham became the first community to separate in 1719; Uxbridge followed in 1727. Despite losing much of its original territory, Mendon retained its distinct agricultural character — rolling hills, stone walls, weathered farm buildings — that distinguishes it from the neighboring industrial towns that grew around it.
1773 — The Mendon Resolves
One of Mendon's most significant contributions to American history came three years before the Declaration of Independence. A letter from Boston's Committee of Correspondence was read at a Mendon town meeting on February 10, 1773, prompting a committee of six ardent Sons of Liberty — Joseph Dorr, Edward Rawson, James Sumner, John Tyler, William Torrey, and Joseph Johnson — to draft a formal response.
On March 1, 1773, Joseph Dorr presented nineteen resolves at a town meeting declaring: "all men have naturally a right to life, liberty, and property, and that a just and lawful government must originate with the free consent of the people." The document also held that quartering an army in peacetime without the people's consent was a violation of the rights of free men.
Three years later, many of the Mendon Resolves' phrases reappeared in Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence. Boston's Sons of Liberty took particular note of the document's eloquence. A reenactment of the Mendon Resolves is one of the featured historical demonstrations at the 2026 Centennial Camporee.
Lydia Chapin Taft: America's First Woman Voter
Lydia Chapin Taft (February 2, 1712 – November 9, 1778) was born in Mendon and is recognized as the first woman known to legally vote in colonial America. On October 30, 1756, as the largest landholder in Uxbridge (a town that had separated from Mendon in 1727), she voted at a town meeting on whether to support the French and Indian War effort.
Under the principle of "no taxation without representation," her vote broke a tie — nearly two centuries before women's suffrage was enshrined in the U.S. Constitution. Since 2004, the Massachusetts legislature has named Route 146A from Uxbridge to the Rhode Island border in her honor.
Historical Landmarks
-
1669
Old Cemetery established — contains the graves of 40 Revolutionary War soldiers
-
1722
Milestone marker erected marking "37 miles from Boston" — now in Founders' Park
-
1745
Ammidon Tavern built
-
1769
Mendon Meetinghouse built, serving as worship space, town meeting hall, and community center
-
1825
Bank building constructed, now the Mendon Historical Museum
-
Nov 6, 1970
-
1986
Mendon included in the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor